Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Five hundred pounds a year and a room of one’s own. Yes, please.

Havi asked us to play “I am a _______________________ and I need tools! These are my tools”.

But right now, “I am a complete mess” seems to be the most appropriate answer so I have asked Future Me to tell me what she is and what her tools are.

Here’s what she says.


  • I am a vision keeper, inspiration bug and haver of brilliant ideas
  • I am a pattern finder and concept connector
  • I am a culture builder, people finder, cultural guide and translator
  • I am a CEO (Chief Engagement Officer) and lost sheep returner and releaser
  • I am a solution finder and sticky cobweb dissolver
  • I am a community host and idea fertilizer
  • I am a start-up capitalist and investor in tiny sweet things
  • I am a fairy godmother, laughter addict and creator of very bad puns

(And I am barrel rider!)

and I need tools!

These are my tools:

  • a room of my own, with spaciousness and pot plants and artwork and French doors to the courtyard outside and a heavy door between me and the rest of the house

  • a yoga mat, cushions, bolsters and blankets plus dvds, practice charts and many books

  • a comfy armchair, ottoman, standard lamp and bookcase, with a basket for something meditative and make-y

  • a quiet courtyard with many plants and comfy, sturdy table, chairs and umbrella to sit and write in, sit and think in, sit and be in

  • a kitchen, pantry, fridge and garden with some sort of helper elves that make nourishing myself and my family easy peasy

  • the assistant of total astonishingness, obviously

  • lovely laptop, sound-system and headphones

  • notebooks and comfy, non leaky, non blobby pens

  • a smart phone of complete awesomeness

  • a big ass table high enough to stand and work at, plus a high stool for when sitting is appropriate

  • big sheets of paper to collage ideas onto, plus magazines and scissors and glue, oh my

  • wall space and easy to change hanging systems for aforementioned big sheets of paper

  • many blogs, books, magazines, video and audio resources from brilliant people all around the world

  • a big ass PLACE where all my people congregate and share and spawn ideas, energy and inspiration and also bring all their people who take the ideas, energy and inspiration out into the wide world. The place includes the café, the shop, the nursery, the garden, the kitchen, the studio/s, the consultation rooms, the group space and the admin space

  • not to mention the online place where people who aren’t actually in the same city can get the gist of it all too

  • plenty of money and other such enabling energies

  • an awesome team who take care of me and each other to bring the vision into presence

  • a highly organized (probably colour coded) system of easily re-organized folders to house the brilliantly documented System that communicates the essence of What We Are Building and How We Do Things Around Here (like, The Tao of Us)

  • the Library of Incredible Ideas and Resources – including structures, systems and routines that channel all the brilliant ideas, practices and methodologies we come across and let us work with them, experiment and play with them, incorporate or release them, reflect on them, share them and add them into the bigger picture and then find them again later.

It’s like Draegers but for hippies not foodies.

And it’s not just a place of business but a WAY of doing business, for hippies who really just want to teach their yoga or do their acupuncture or run their knitting circles or sell their permaculture gardening services and how-to guides, but also wouldn’t mind using their own wisdom to help each other run these businesses successfully and cooperatively.

Like a place where the bookkeeping and marketing and office admin specialists of legendariness can do their thing without having to work in yukky corporate!

With coffee and green smoothies and cake.

Wow, I am in awe of Future Me. That’s massive!

Hmmm where to start? Small. With baby steps. And faith.

Yip yip!!